Pictured: Jack de Belin
NRL star Jack de Belin expected to be able to do whatever he wanted to a woman who was in the locked bathroom of a Wollongong unit, a jury has told.
“He expected that walking around naked would inevitably lead to sex,” prosecutor David Scully said on Tuesday in his final speech during the footballer’s rape trial.
‘He believed it would happen whether the complainant liked it or not.
“He took that sex by force, ladies and gentlemen.”
St. George Illawarra’s attacker, 29, and his friend, Callan Sinclair, 23, have pleaded not guilty to five charges of aggravated assault, saying the early morning encounter at a unit in North Wollongong in December 2018 was a consensus.
Mr Scully told the jury that the Belin had hoped and even expected sex to take place after meeting the 19-year-old in a bar before the trio went to the unit.
The woman testified that she asked to use the bathroom when the Belin led them to the unit to “charge his phone.”
The prosecutor said that if her evidence was accepted that the Belin walked into the locked bathroom naked, it gave insight into his thought process by expecting to do whatever he wanted.
De Belin (left), 29, and his friend, Callan Sinclair (right), 23, have pleaded not guilty to five charges of aggravated assault
A Crown prosecutor has urged a jury to (rightly) make NRL star Jack de Belin guilty of sexual assault in court on Monday. Pictured is the Belin with partner Alyce Taylor
Callan Sinclair, 23, is seen exiting the Wollongong District Court on November 18
Claiming that the Belin was the instigator, the prosecution said, while Sinclair may have been shocked and surprised, he had a choice when his friend started doing what he did.
Mr. Scully said that De Belin’s version of the events given to the jury was that permission was sought for any movement between the three of them.
“You might think that in making what the Crown says was a bogus version of events, they just went too far,” he said.
Troy Martin, who lived on the ward with the Belin’s absent cousin, has stated that he looked into the bedroom and saw the two men while a naked woman lay on the bed before the door closed.
She testified that she did not remember having a roommate, but Mr. Scully noted that she later said something to two different people about a vague and vague memory of that person.
He claimed this was ‘completely understandable’ as it was said to be nothing more than a brief moment in what for her was ‘an extremely traumatic series of events where two men repeatedly had sexual intercourse with her without her consent’.
The jury might think that was the center of her attention at the time and what burned in her memory was “those two men and what they did to her.”
While De Belin had described her as “just a little chick hanging out,” he said the Crown had admitted that the jury could accept beyond a reasonable doubt that nothing that happened in the room had agreed.
Just before traveling to the unit, the woman had messaged a friend that she was going to another nightclub.
About the same time, she and Sinclair did not have “ constant physical contact ” or otherwise acted in a way that suggested they would soon be having a threesome, Mr Scully said
Prosecutor David Scully, who is due to conclude his speech on Tuesday morning, has urged the jury to reject the evidence of the accused men and instead declare the men guilty on all counts. On Friday, De Belin will be seen at the court
Jack de Belin hasn’t played in the NRL since he was charged with the alleged rape almost two years ago. He is shown in action for the NSW Blues in its 2018 state of origin
There had been a “fundamental gap” between the complainant’s intentions and what the men wanted to do with the woman, he said.
They wanted to have a threesome with her, but the difficulty is – and this is where the fundamental disconnection occurs – that none of the defendants bothered to tell the complainant that they wanted to go back to unity, let alone get back to unity. go to the unit. to have sex with her, ”said Mr. Scully.
De Belin testified last week that the woman responded positively to his trio proposal, verbally said ‘yes’ to come back to the unit and never did anything to suggest she disagreed.
Sinclair similarly testified that the woman was normal and enjoyed the sex.
Sinclair’s lawyer addresses the jury later on Tuesday.
JACK DE BELIN SEXUAL ATTACK TEST: A TIMELINE
De Belin is charged with raping a woman in an apartment in Wollongong, south of Sydney, in the early morning hours of Sunday, December 9.
De Belin was charged with aggravated assault on Thursday, December 13.
De Belin denied the allegations.
His friend, Callan Sinclair, was charged on December 17.
De Belin and his co-defendants are determined to face trial.
The rape trial begins.
The couple have pleaded not guilty to five charges of aggravated assault.
Prosecutor David Scully said the jury should dismiss De Belin’s testimony about his night with the woman who charged him with rape.
Mr Scully argued that there was a ‘fundamental gap’ between the men and the complainant before entering a unit in North Wollongong in December 2018.
Mr Scully will conclude his speech on Tuesday morning.
Judge Andrew Haesler will provide legal directions before the jury begins deliberations
The post Jack de Belin trial for sexual assault: Crown prosecutor urges jury to dismiss evidence of accused men appeared first on WhatsNew2Day.